An excellent question and one we get asked a lot – especially from first time waxers as they don’t always get the immediate results they’re expecting.
Getting the best results from your wax is a combination of the work you do leading up to your appointment and the expertise your therapist has when carrying out your treatment.
What can I do?
As we’ve said before, Scrub and rub is nkd’s pre- and post-waxing mantra for all intimate, bikini and body waxing. By this, we mean lightly exfoliate the area that is being waxed 2 – 3 times a week and moisturise daily (and that goes for guys and gals!) Make sure you use suitable products and if you’re not sure what that means talk to your therapist or visit the product section of our knowledge centre here (link)
On the day of your wax, please make sure for your sake and ours, that you shower/bathe on the day of your wax and put on clean underwear.
We also ask that you don’t slather on loads of products to the area that will be waxed. Although we will always cleanse and sanitise the area beforehand, we would find it hard to remove large amounts of pre-applied product and having that barrier on the skin will stop the wax adhering to the hairs… meaning less hairs are removed.
After your wax the correct at-home aftercare procedures are absolutely vital in making sure that you get the best results, for as long as possible, from your treatment. You need to look after the area yourself so as to prolong the results. We recommend the following regime:
- Moisturise the waxed area daily (ingrown hairs are often caused by dry or flaky skin which does not allow the hairs to grow through). It is imperative that you use a suitable moisturiser, however, especially for your intimate bits! For this purpose, we especially love products containing natural antiseptic properties such as tea tree oil.
- Exfoliate the waxed area several times a week to get rid of dead skin cells. Again, think carefully about which products you use here. We do not recommend delving into the back of your bathroom cabinet for that manky old seasalt scrub that you used a couple of times three years ago! Anything too grainy could scratch or irritate the skin and we advise against anything that is heavily fragranced. As well as an exfoliator, consider an exfoliating cloth, which can do a wonderful job at removing dead skin and can leave you feeling beautifully soft and smooth. If going for one of these though, make sure you buy one that you can regularly put in the wash so that it doesn’t harbour germs.
We recommend that for the first few waxes, you return every 4 – 5 weeks. At this stage in proceedings, you want to be trying to get all of your hairs into the same growth cycle, so that they are all breaking through the skin at the same time. If your hair is not in the same growth cycle, you could come for a wax and then have regrowth soon after, which will be hair that was just lurking under your skin at the time of your treatment, which we couldn’t possibly have reached.
After 3 months or so, once you have trained your hair into the same growth cycle, most clients return every 5 – 6 weeks because once you are into that routine, you should find that your skin stays beautifully smooth and hair-free for a much longer time, after each session with us.
What do you do?
Everything that our therapists do throughout your treatment is designed to ensure that you get the best results possible from your wax:
- We cleanse the skin before we start to ensure that any dirt or oils are removed from the surface of your skin that might prevent the wax from sticking and giving a perfect finish
- We lightly apply a barrier oil that stops the wax sticking to your skin which reduces the pain that you will feel as well as improving the results
- We apply aftercare products that soothe and cool to reduce irritation but also contain anti-bacterial properties to fight infections in your open pores
- All of our therapists at nkd are highly trained and have several weeks on training columns to ensure that they have had plenty of practice before we let them loose on clients day to day – this means that they know all the best practices and techniques for giving you a better wax. These include, removing strip wax in the direction of hair growth; pulling strips off parallel to the skin to remove from the root instead of snapping them off; using hot wax on more sensitive areas; and applying pressure post removal to reduce that stinging sensation.
Our therapists really are experts because they wax all day every day so you can be sure that you are getting the best possible wax with the best possible results every time you come to nkd.